[STA Members] 6G call reminder

Comer, Tonya Tonya.Comer at hp.com
Tue Aug 1 07:07:59 PDT 2006

HP has reviewed the presentation and would like to pass along the
following comments to STA:

Slide 3: HP also wants SAS-2 HBA and expander phys to support SATA 3
Gbps "Gen2i" drives over SAS backplanes with no port selectors.

Slide 4: Looking forward, SAS 12 Gbps doesn't have to be interoperable
with SAS 1.5 Gbps if needed.  It's desired but could be dropped if it
creates problems.

Slide 4: "0.5 meter backplane" is not long enough.  The OIF-CEI-6G-LR
standard on which we are basing SAS 6 Gbps supports 1 m with up to two
connectors.

Slide 4: 10 m cable is our goal, not just 6 m.  No additional cost is
acceptable (and doesn't seem necessary).

Slide 5: HP has settled on multiplexing as the method for bandwidth
aggregation.  6 Gbps to two 3 Gbps and 3 to two 1.5 Gbps are logically
the same - the "Desired" row is not an issue.  We're willing to drop
discussion of 4:1 multiplexing ("supporting more than two phy
connections...".  It is only required on some links (particularly
external links from HBA to expander, or expander to expander).

Slide 6: 10^-15 is our goal.  It is a statistical number, not a measured
number.

Slide 6: SSC is a requirement.  All new devices must support receiving
SSC.  It can be left up to the system vendor to decide if devices are
configured to transmit SSC or not.  IBM seems to be the main one
complaining about SSC in T10; they're not currently a STA member.

Slide 6: SSC is also needed in 3 Gbps SAS drives - it's not tied to 6
Gbps.  This is one of the relatively minor non-6 Gbps features that
could cause a drive to be considered a SAS-2 drive:

* Spread Spectrum Clocking

* BREAK_REPLY primitive

* I_T NEXUS RESET task management function

* NOTIFY (POWER FAILURE EXPECTED) primitive

* BROADCAST (ASYNCHRONOUS EVENT) primitive

* RESPONSE frame RETRY DELAY field

* IDENTIFY address frame DEVICE NAME field

* Redundant primitive decode changes

* Phy test patterns

* Phy event information counters

* full active/active (data/data) ability for the ports on dual-ported
disk drives

* full use of full-duplex in a port

* transport layer retries (maybe)

Overall: STA should decide on some finalized marketing names for the new
SAS features.   Is "multiplexing" the right term, or is "time division
multiplexing (TDM)" better?  How about a name for the package of non-6
Gbps features?

Thanks,

Tonya Comer